Do you need an architect?
Architects visualize, plan and develop designs for the construction and renovation of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential buildings and the spaces in and around the buildings.
They are involved in projects from beginning to end, from site selection and design through to completion, working closely with clients, with a range of professionals including surveyors, engineers, builders and interior designers, and with officials from local community planning and building control departments.
Architects perform some or all of the following duties:
- Consult with clients to determine type, style and purpose of renovations or new building construction being considered
- Visualize and design buildings and develop plans describing design specifications, building materials, costs and construction schedules
- Prepare sketches and models for clients
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of drawings, specifications and other construction documents for use by contractors and tradespersons
- Prepare bidding documents, participate in contract negotiations and award construction contracts
- Monitor activities on construction sites to ensure compliance with specifications
Advantages of Hiring an Architect
Regardless of your project size, when you work with an architect you will receive a number of benefits. Architects bring:
- Vision - They will sit down with you and help you define and clarify your needs by bringing drawings or sketches to the table so you can actually start to see your end result.
- Knowledge - They will help you see alternatives that could save you time and money.
- Expertise – They are experienced in construction and will provide detailed project specifications that will be followed by your contractor
- Value - The services of an architect is an investment, rather than an expense
Architects are employed by architectural firms, private corporations and governments, or they may be self-employed.